Michigan K.I.D.S. is a 501(c)(3) non-profit that provides digital editions of the Detroit Free Press and The Detroit News, related teaching materials and teacher guides, and other services to schools across Michigan.
Help Build Successful Futures!
Your donation to Michigan K.I.D.S.(Knowledge and Information Delivered to Students) will make it possible for us to offer:
e-Editions of the Detroit Free Press and The Detroit News - electronic replica newspapers that can be accessed in school or at home provide students with up-to-date, relevant information about the world in which they live
- Yak's Corner - an 8-page mini-newspaper for ages 6-12 produced weekly throughout the school year. In 32 issues each school year, Yak's Corner provides elementary through middle school students with age-appropriate information, including news briefs, profiles of kids who make a difference, interviews with people with interesting jobs, science experiments and "Your Page," a place where young yakkers share their art.
- Breakfast Serials(r) in Monday e-Editions of The Detroit News - serialized stories written for younger readers but enjoyed by readers of any age
- Background student sections - sections developed for elementary through high school students to strengthen understanding of important topical and educational issues. In 2009 DNIE received three gold medal awards from the Association of Educational Publishers for our student sections!
- Online educational resources at www.dnie.com - lesson plans on three levels, Newspapers PLUS (National Current Events), Cartoons for the Classrooms, Front Page Talking Points, Geography in the News and a local interactive current events quiz, and many more activities are updated every Monday. And you'll also find a wealth of online teacher guides and supplements for students.
- Student Contests - Yak's Corner Favorite Book Character contest gives students in grades K-6 the opportunity to share drawings of their favorite character from a book of fiction
- Reading events at elementary schools and "Connect with Mentoring" programs
In 2009, donations to Michigan K.I.D.S. made it possible to provide Michigan students with more than 1,278,412 student sections and over 2.5 million e-Editions of the Detroit Free Press and The Detroit News.
Over 93 percent of all the newspapers and student section provided were sponsored by foundations, corporations, and generous readers like yourself.
Please help us make the 2010 just as successful.
You can make a tax-free donation to Michigan K.I.D.S., Inc., an educational nonprofit 501(c)(3).
All funds donated go directly to supporting Michigan classrooms.
$25 provides 500 electronic newspapers and other educational materials.
- $34 provides 34 weeks of Breakfast Serials stories and daily access to the electronic edition of The Detroit News for 20 students.
- $40 provides 32 weeks of Yak's Corner and daily access to the electronic edition of the Free Press for 25 students.
Or your donation may go to support any of our other programs.
Any donation - large or small - can make a big difference in the lives of Michigan students.